Top 10 facts about UFOs
1. The term ‘UFO’ for Unidentified Flying Object was coined by US Air Force officer Edward Ruppelt in 1952.
2. Before that, the term ‘flying saucer’ had been used since 1947.
3. This followed a sighting of nine flying objects by pilot Kenneth Arnold in June 1947, whose motion he likened to a saucer skimmed across water.
4. The first country to depict flying saucers on its postage stamps was Equatorial Guinea in 1975.
5. More than 40,000 Americans have taken out insurance against being abducted by aliens.
6. The rice paper discs filled with sherbert known as ‘flying saucers’ were voted the most popular sweet of all time in a 2004 survey.
7. US President Jimmy Carter thought he saw a flying saucer in 1973 but it was probably the planet Venus.
8. There was a mass sighting of a flying saucer-type object over Nuremberg in 1561.
9. Over the past 40 years there has been a daily average of about six reported UFO sightings.
10. These occur most often on Fridays, in the West, during drinking hours.